Skin care shouldn’t be limited to your face and neck—your back surely deserves some pampering, too! In Bali, you’re likely getting ready to show off some more skin at the beach. Our backs, in particular, can be an area of skin distress like acne, dryness and irritation. We need to give our back the same attention we give our face and neck.
Sweat and contact with different fabrics cause acne breakouts, rashes and irritation. In fact, over 50% of the population have most breakouts on their back and chest.
The first type of back acne is non-inflammatory acne characterized by the following types of blemishes:
- Blackheads, which are clogged pores that remain open at the skin surface. The medical name for them is open comedones.
- Whiteheads, which are clogged pores that are closed at the skin surface. They are called closed comedones.
Back acne can also be inflammatory. This type of acne includes the following types of blemishes:
- Pimples, which are raised, tender red or pink bumps. They are called papules when they don’t have pus and a white tip. When they are pus-filled with a white tip, they are pustules.
- Nodules, which are large, solid, painful lumps deep under the skin
- Cysts, which are pus-filled nodules that don’t feel solid or hard
You can get acne at any age or stage of life. However, the most common time to experience acne, including back acne, is during adolescence and young adulthood. About 80% of people between ages 11 and 30 will have an acne breakout. It’s likely related to changing hormone levels. Other potential causes of back acne include excess oil production and over-sensitivity to skin bacteria.
Tight-fitting exercise clothing that traps sweat next to skin on the back and blocks pores may contribute to outbreaks. People should consider wearing loose-fitting clothes, especially if they are having acne inflammation problems.
Here’s tips Reducing the risk of back acne
You can’t prevent or avoid back acne breakouts altogether if you are prone to them. But you may be able to lower or reduce your breakout triggers by:
- Cleaning your skin with gentle cleansers and lukewarm water. Hot water can irritate the skin and worsen acne. Avoid irritating skincare products, including antibacterial soaps, abrasive scrubs or scrubbing tools, and alcohol-based products, including astringents. Instead, use fragrance-free, oil-free, non-comedogenic products.
- Leaving the blemishes alone and not picking at them. Popping or squeezing pimples increases the risk of scarring and further irritates the skin, which can worsen the problem.
- Not wearing anything with straps that will rub your back. Instead of a backpack, choose a briefcase or wheeled bag. Carry purses on your arm or in your hand instead of on your shoulder.
- Protecting your skin from the sun. The sun can irritate the skin and make acne worse
- Stopping smoking
- Washing sheets and pillowcases weekly with fragrance-free products and hot water to kill bacteria
- Wearing loose-fitting clothes. When you work out or sweat, wear wicking clothes and shower right afterwards. Wash your workout clothes after each wear.
Eat skin-friendly foods
What's good for your heart is also good for your skin, so it may be time to put up your veggie game. Eat a well-balanced diet— any extreme or restrictive eating plan is not healthy for your overall body, so just consider cutting back on foods that may up your risk of developing back acne, such as dairy, rather than eliminating it all together.
Your back should get a good tune-up as well because the skin there can be just as sensitive and prone to dryness and irritation. A back facial at Lumina Aesthetics Clinic is exactly what you need this coming bathing suit ‘Always Summer’ in Bali. The treatment is designed to help get rid of these common skin concerns.
Our 60 min back facial includes a deep cleansing with steam, exfoliation, extractions, a hydrating, detoxifying mask, a back massage, hot towels and a moisturizer with sunscreen.
Dry Skin Dilemma
The back is one of the most hard-to-reach places during your daily routine. Unfortunately, that also makes it one of the most neglected areas of your body in terms of care. Just how often do you really cleanse, exfoliate and moisturize your skin there? Chances are you’re not doing it enough, especially if you already notice dryness of your facial skin. Dead skin cells need to be cleared to reveal healthier, glowing skin underneath using a treatment specifically formulated to address dry skin.
Bothersome Bacne ( BACK ACNE)
More often than not, it’s not on the face, but the chest and back regions. That’s because your back goes through a lot on a daily basis. Between sweat and irritable contact with different fibers and fabrics, the glands on your back can accumulate sebum. This build up then clogs hair follicles, leading to whiteheads, blackheads and eventually the dreaded bacne (or back acne) and cysts.
Redness and Rashes
If you’re hoping to even out your skin tone by sunbathing in Bali, make sure your back isn’t already red from skin irritation. Much like bacne, redness and rashes are strong indicators that you are sorely in need of a back facial. One of the major causes of this is clothing made from uncomfortable fabrics rubbing up on your back or what’s known as itchy contact dermatitis. This is commonly experienced when working out and your sportswear starts to slide against your sweaty skin.
A BACIAL (Back Facial) is an effective treatment that targets your back, elbows and the back of your upper arms, mimicking many traditional techniques used for the face. It includes deep steam cleansing, gentle exfoliation, extractions, detoxifying masks, massage and hot towels. Stop by a spa and wellness destination, such as Lumina Aesthetics 😉 for a well-deserved back facial before you show your Back while you dressing on your favorite Bikini.
Book your appointment with Lumina’s Dermatologist
If you've tried all of the above and your bacne is still stubbornly sticking around, consider scheduling a consultation with Lumina’s dermatologist. Our Dermatologist may be able to offer personalized advice to keep things under control or suggest oral or topical prescription medications that may just do the trick.
Book Your Bacial here +6281228888837