What is WIDOW’S PEAK?
Have you ever heard the term "Widow's Peak"? The term “widow’s peak” originated in England. Back in the 18th century, there was a tradition that when a husband died, his wife should wear a black triangular hat with the point falling in the middle of the forehead. That triangular V-shape hat is what people nowadays called widow's peak, but instead of a hat nowadays it is the hairline.
A widow's peak is a V-shaped hairline that is higher on the side and has a low point, which makes a bald spot on each end. Widow's peak varies in height. People with widow's peak tend to grow their hair out to cover the widow's peak.
What causes Widow's Peak?
Normally, when you have a widow's peak, there must be someone in your family who passed it down to you from generation to generation. However, there is no specific research that can pinpoint which type of genes causes this type of hairline.
There are a few genetic conditions that do seem associated with widow’s peak:
- Mutations in the LRP2 gene, Donnai-Barrow syndrome, can cause unusual features of the eyes, nose, and ears.
- Frontonasal dysplasia is a very rare condition that affects abnormal development of the head and face, caused by genetic mutations in the ALX 3, ALX4, or ALX1 genes.
- Opitz G/BBB syndrome is a condition where mutations of the MID1 gene, chromosome 22, or SPECC1L causes abnormalities in the midline of the body.
A study in Japan shows that 29.6% percent of women have a widow’s peak and 32.8% of men have a widow's peak. This type of hairline can occur to anyone, any gender, and of any race.
What treatment should I get?
There are 2 ways to treat widow's peak problem. The long and slow way would be by using a hair tonic to stimulate blood circulation in the hair follicles for healthy hair growth. It is recommended to use a hair tonic twice a day after you wash your hair thoroughly. Pour the hair tonic onto your scalp. just enough to get your scalp wet, massage your scalp for 3 minutes and repeat this routine every day after every shower and in 6-8 months you will see the result. A new strain of hair will begin to grow in your desired spot. Continue doing this until your hair grows perfectly the way you wanted.
For those who desire fast and easy results, hair tonic obviously is not an option, but instead, you could try a Follicular unit extraction (FUE) Hair Transplant. FUE Hair Transplant is a hair transplant procedure that involves harvesting grafts (the hair follicles) from the donor area one by one and moving them to the desired part of your scalp where the hair is thinner or absent through tiny canals that have been prepped and opened up by the doctor. This procedure is performed manually using hand-held punches of various types.
FUE Hair Transplant has several advantages among other similar treatments such as:
- Less discomfort
- Faster recovery
- No incision
- Gives very natural results
- Planted hair can be used for life and no fall-off is experienced again in the same area.
- Local anesthesia.
How long does FUE procedure take?
FUE hair transplant varies in time between 4 to 8 hours depending on how many grafts the procedure needed. It is a time-consuming treatment due to the placement of hair follicles being placed one by one.
What to expect after FUE hair transplant?
Patient may be feeling swelling or discomfort for around 2-4 days.
Here are some aftercare treatments that may help ease the discomfort:
- Don’t wash your hair or shower for at least 3 days.
- Use gentle, unscented shampoos
- Take a couple of days off work to help speed up healing.
- Don’t comb or brush your new hair for at for3 weeks.
- Don’t wear clothing that goes over your head until your doctor says it’s OK.
- Don’t do any strenuous physical activity for a week.
Some hairs may fall out during the healing process and this is normal. You will start to notice the difference after about 3 to 4 months.
Preparing for FUE hair transplant?
Here are some things a FUE patient may need to do before doing the procedure:
- Don’t smoke for 3 days before your procedure.
- Don’t drink alcohol for 3 days before your procedure.
- Don’t take aspirin or blood thinners for 2 weeks before your procedure.
- Don’t take any vitamins or dietary supplements for 2 weeks before your procedure.
- Don't take antidepressants for about 2 weeks before your procedure.
- Don’t get your hair cut before the procedure.
- Do a scalp massage for about 10 to 30 minutes every day for 2 weeks to increase blood flow to your scalp.
- Take any medications, such as minoxidil (Rogaine), that your surgeon asks you to take.
- Have an electrocardiogram (ECG) and blood tests done before surgery.
Lumina Aesthetics offers FUE treatment that can help you solve your widow's peak problem. Our doctors are experienced professionals who give the best treatment on daily basis. Here at Lumina Aesthetics, not only do you get the best treatment, but you also get a free detailed consultation with our doctor to decide the right course of action for your condition.
We are conveniently located at Jl Dewi Sri Kuta Bali, Indonesia, and soon will be opening our 2nd branch in Alam Sutera, Tangerang. For more information, please call us or request an appointment online +6281210688884 / +6281228888837 or Email: [email protected].