Our skin is made up of multiple tissues and is the largest organ of the bodyguarding our internal system. Its main function is to protect, regulate and provide sensation. The outermost layer of our skin, also known as the Stratum Corneum along with fatty Lipids form a part of our skin barrier. This acts as our body’s natural defense against the outside world while retaining the good things inside. It acts as a wall as the first line of defense, fencing us against environmental stressors and keeping our internal immunity healthy. Here are a few reasons why maintaining our skin barrier is so important:
1. Protects us against external factors
2. Prevents moisture loss
3. Fights ageing
4. Regulates body temperature through sweating
So, what happens when you are faced with a damaged skin barrier? And what should we do?
Before we give you tips to get back to a healthy skin barrier, here are 9 signs of a damaged skin barrier:
- Dark spots & Hyperpigmentation
- Rough, uneven texture
- Sensitivity / Allergic reactions
- Fine lines & wrinkles
- Dull & dehydrated
- Tightness & flaking or peeling
- Rashes like eczema
And here are the tips for you ..
- Simplify your morning and nighttime skincare routines to just the essentials.
- Avoid exfoliating face washes or anything designed to strip away oils.
- SPF should already be part of your daily skincare routine, but it’s all the more important when repairing a damaged skin barrier
- To get back to a healthy skin barrier, buzz it with Profhilo.
Mm, but What is Profhilo?
Profhilo is the first BDDE-free stabilised injectable hyaluronic acid (HA) based product for treating skin laxity. With one of the highest concentrations of HA (64mg / 2ml), it is not only amazing at boosting and hydrating the skin but it is also one of the most effective products out there for remodelling the ageing and sagging tissue.
Profhilo is a special treatment worth considering if your skin does not feel the way it used to when you were younger or when you are noticeable signs of the damaged skin barrier, thanks to a lack of hyaluronic acid, elastin, and collagen. An injectable consisting of hyaluronic acid (ha), Profhilo can rejuvenate your skin and give you that luminous glow and fresh look you are missing. Is it really worth it, though?
Many of our patients ask “Is Profhilo worth it?” The simple answer is, yes it is. It is fast-acting, effective, minimally-invasive, and do not carry the same risks as other procedures. It provides you with healthy, plumper, and fresher skin and a radiant glow that will shave years off you.
Does Profhilo Really Work?
Yes, the evidence of previous patients and various research studies into its use shows that Profhilo is effective as it is advertised as being.
How Does Profhilo Work?
During the procedure at Lumina Aesthetics, very fine needles are used by a specialist to inject Profhilo into specific injection sites around your face that are known as Bio Aesthetic Points(BAP).
The hyaluronic acid solution starts to spread immediately after being administered into those injection sites, flowing evenly, integrating with the existing tissue in your skin. The hyaluronic acid remains in your skin for approximately 28 days, during which time it starts to stimulate the production of 4 kinds of collagen and elastin slowly and gradually. This is why you will never hear Profhilo being referred to as just a simple skin booster because it offers significant skin tightening and lifting effects too.
One of the biggest benefits of it is the fact that it takes just 15 minutes to administer but produces positive results almost immediately. You will notice a real difference in your face and skin following the first session of treatment, with it feeling much smoother and looking much brighter.
Does Profhilo last long enough to be worth it?
Although the Profhilo only remains in your body for around 28 days, the results only improve with time and can last for approximately 6 months. At the start, you will need two induction sessions one month apart then one session every six months for maintenance.
It depends on individual patients, their general health and how serious their problems were at the time of having them corrected.
Does Profhilo make you look younger?
Yes, it does make you look younger. This is one of the ultimate goals of Profhilo – it’s a treatment that has been devised to counteract the natural depletion of hyaluronic in your skin that results in it not having the elasticity or firmness it once had.
Is Profhilo better than fillers?
Despite offering similar benefits, Profhilo is not only a skin booster. Another popular treatment many people mistake for Profhilo being exactly the same as is dermal fillers. Again, because it does more than just puff out the skin, it is considered to be a bio remodelling treatment that rejuvenates the natural product of elasticity and collagen in the skin.
While fillers are ideal when you just want to make small adjustments and improvements to specific areas of your face like the cheeks or under your eyes etc, Profhilo is the cosmetic facial treatment you should opt for if you want to make more extensive improvements to your face and neck as a whole. But you could consider combining Profhilo injection with Dermal Filler and Botox to achieve your skin goals and face contour.
Are there any side effects?
Occasionally some redness, swelling and tenderness can occur immediately in the injection site, lasting for a few hours.
Can everyone have Profhilo?
Profhilo is safe product, however, there are a few people who need to avoid it:
- Allergy to Hyaluronic Acid.
- Patients with bleeding and blood disorders/leukaemia/lymphoma. (You need clearance from your haematologist before proceeding, as the risk of infection is higher)
- Patient on chemotherapy or immunosuppressant. (You need clearance from your haematologist/oncologist before proceeding, as the risk of infection is higher)
- Sensitivity to gram-positive bacteria proteins.
- Active infection or inflammation in the skin area to be injected.
- Patient with ongoing other facial treatments as chemical peels, laser treatment or microdermabrasion.
- Patients at risk of Keloids (hypertrophic scarring).
- Patient with an active cold sore.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women (best to be avoided despite no real evidence)
- Patients planning to have facial surgery in the next 12 months.
Furthermore, if you have more severe signs of ageing, like deep-set wrinkles and fine lines or sagging skin, it may require more than just Profhilo to get the results you want. But if you want to keep your healthy skin barrier you are the good candidate for Profhilo only at Lumina Aesthetics.
And here are the effect and the aftercare instructions after you experience Profhilo Injections
- It is normal for the skin to be red around the area of injection but also white around the area where the anaesthetic cream/injection was applied. This should only last a few hours.
- Lumps can occasionally occur when the dermal filler absorbs water from the body and swells. For the first 24 hours after treatment, these lumps can easily be massaged away (between finger and thumb). Don’t massage lumps that you cannot see as this will only displace your filler.
- Rarely numbness and/or tingling over the site of injection may occur for a few days.
- Bruising is the most common complication of treatment. You can reduce bruising by applying ice; it is ok to cover up bruising with concealer/makeup the next day.
- Avoid applying makeup over the injection sites for 12 hours. This is to reduce the already small risk of skin infection.
- Often superficial lines in the face are ‘highlighted’ in pink or red following treatment. This effect will settle within a few days.
- Until the initial swelling and redness have resolved, do not expose the treated area to intense heat (i.e. solarium, sauna or sunbathing).
- If you are using aspirin, clopidogrel, warfarin or similar medication, be aware that these may increase the bruising or bleeding at the injection site
So, is Profhilo Worth Getting to keep your skin Barrier Healthy?
Yes, Profhilo is worth getting but you need to determine whether it is the best treatment option for your particular facial and skin goals. Profhilo works for any skin type and will improve the aesthetics of any face. But if you’re looking for a totally dramatic turnaround for sagging skin or deep wrinkles, you’re best combining it with another treatment.
Are you a good candidate for Profhilo? Find your answer by having a consultation with our doctor – Contact Us Now for an appointment at Lumina Aesthetics Clinic..
See you soon at Lumina Aesthetics